Worst Bad Sales Habits, Part 3 – Dumb, Fat, and Happy
Success breeds complacency. But what happens if a star sales rep stops learning? Stops challenging himself? Well, nine times out of nine, it spells T-H-E E-N-D, especially these days when business practices and technologies change at breakneck speed.
Yet, nothing is easier than talking oneself into complacency.
- I’ve already paid my dues.
- I’m incredibly successful. People should be learning from me.
- Nothing really changes in my industry.
- These new technologies are just a fad. I’ve seen them come and go.
As reasonable as some of these thoughts are, I can think of a few reasons why they should be removed from one’s head.
- What will happen down the road when your Gen X and Gen Y customers think you’re from Mars?
- What will happen when your fiercest competitors sense you’ve lost your edge?
- What will happen if the latest fad becomes the next standard, and it’s your competitor’s greatest strength?
I’ve seen sales people lose accounts because they waited too long to get cell phones (true!). Entire companies have gotten into serious trouble because they didn’t take Six Sigma seriously and were dislodged from major accounts by more aggressive competitors who did. Large matters or small, vigilance is a must!
New Year’s Resolution!
I’ll be smart, stay hungry, and keep my edge. It trumps dumb, fat, and happy every time.